Sunday, October 16, 2011

simply DREAMING

Last week went like this....

We came home Thursday night to a cold house.
The weather had taken a shift in temperatures and our nice fall days had turned cold.
We snuggled up our girls in their warmest jammies and everyone slept in our room with the door closed and a space heater on high.

The next day Chris met some furnace experts for some bids.
Not cool.
Our ancient furnace was toast.
We needed a new one. A WHOLE new one.
(new Unit, new Duct work, new holes in our concrete foundation...new)
The nice furnace dudes stayed at our house until 11:45 Friday night.
The furnace produced heat, but still wasn't all the way installed.
We were okay with that.
Off to bed we went.
5:00 AM came rather early...
Crash!!!
We all sprung from bed to find our bathroom ceiling had caved in.
Sheetrock, insulation...everywhere.

Saturday plans canceled

We spent the day sweeping & dusting; cleaning up the mess.
A trip to Home Depot and home again...
sweeping & dusting; cleaning up the mess.

The leak in the roof patched enough to last us.
(Anyone up for joining us on a roofing project this Spring?!)
Insulation ready to be replaced and new sheetrock cut & ready to hang.

Phew...

Once that's done we'll have some sanding and painting and we'll be done.

We stand back to admire our work.
Our long day of work is coming to and end...

Our Saturday almost over...

The cleaning is done, and now only a few things left to do...

And then,
WHAT is that?
A piece of insulation falls from the ceiling.
Insulation?
M o v i n g Isulation?

EEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's a mouse in the house!
Oh yes. A Mouse.

A mouse jumped from within our ceiling onto our bathroom floor. Gross.

Chris and I sprung into action in an effort to trap and catch the (beast) animal.

Our efforts were perhaps comical to said mouse, and the chase began.
(P.s....never thought I'd be chasing a mouse around my house. Kids, yes. Mouse, no.)

Minutes later the mouse was caught.
Preventative measures were taken for said mouse's potential family
And again, we began... sweeping & dusting; cleaning up the mess.
(This time with lots of bleach!!)
We quickly begin to hang up the new insulation and sheetrock.
What is that noise??!
A cricket??
In our attic?
Sure enough.
Mom C says that's good luck, so we go with it.
At this point, who cares?

We hang the new insulation and sheetrock.
And then we crawl into bed.

Must have been a dream.
Must have.

Sunday morning was a delight; no loud 5 AM awakenings and a clean home. Heaven.

Tomorrow will be better.

Fast-forward 3 days....
I am sitting in the doctor's office with two sick girls.
Kate; ear infection
Lucy; cold.
It's okay though...things will get better.

Fast-forward 4 days....
Kate & Chris head down stairs to put a load in the washer.
45 minutes later I head down to put said load into the dryer.
Bang...Bang...Bang..
I return upstairs and ask Chris if he washed Kate's shoes that were in front of the washer.
He recalls Kate playing with them and assumes she tossed them in. (She's a good helper mind you).

I ignore the Bang...Bang...Bang..
Afterall, it's just Kate's shoes in the dryer.

30 minutes later as we prepare for bed, we begin a search...
Where is Chris' phone? He just had it.
We call it, no answer.
We search and search.
Chris retraces he steps and suddenly remembers...
his jean's pocket.
We both run downstairs.
We fling the dryer door open and sure enough...
There is this phone.
DEAD
We luckily were able to revive it enough to accept texts; but not calls.
(Although it does smell downy great!)
Now we are certain...
this week will be better!!:)

6 comments:

The Petterssons said...

What a horrific week! I'm so sorry you had such an eventful week! Here's to a better one!

Barb said...

You can only go up from here! I'm so sorry!

Kate said...

Tarina! I'm sorry you've had such a crazy week. I hope things pick up for you! :)

Lance n Amber said...

Oh my gosh. This is a post that you will love to read in years to come! Although I feel for you I have to admit, I was smiling a little as I read your hilarious descriptions of your awful episodes. I hope things get much better! Love you!

Jenn said...

Aaahhh, here's to the purchase of an old home. Ben and I have had our share of similar joys. We have mouse droppings, but luckily I haven't actually seen the mouse. Just spiders.

Anonymous said...

great blog thanks for inviting us to the blessing. you and chris have two very cute darling little girls
love grandma and grandpa dunn